Thursday, December 22, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/opinion/sunday/young-black-and-frisked-by-the-nypd.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

That African Americans remain targets is an outrage! Yet, it is a sad state of affairs. Hispanic people in Arizona as recent news reveals have been victims of profiling and do I need to even mention those of Middle Eastern heritage?

Ignorance is the catalyst for fear. We all know this but today, more than ever it seems to have become a license for a presumed acquiescence of the masses with abuse of peace keeping power and a "you don't belong on my block" mentality.

I remember Yusef Hawkins. Yousef was a young Black college student who responded to an ad in Bensonhurst Brooklyn. He went there to look into buying a car. What he received was a fatal bludgeoning with a baseball bat.

On the weekend following this young man's funeral Reverend Al Sharpton marched with his family and supporters in a peaceful demonstration against the actions that caused this tragedy. At the time Bensonhurst will still a ghetto. In other words the majority of people homogeneous-one culture, one nationality: Italian.

The supporters and grievers were met on the sidelines by rabid racists, holding baseball bats and even one mooned the protesters. This brainchild, whose brain was obviously in his posterior rump was cheered by some. Not to be fair these few were hardly representative of the neighborhood's feelings. Most felt he had every right to go wherever he wanted, especially to buy a car.

I especially remember that day because my daughter who then just 8 years old tearfully called me begging me to bring her home because she couldn't stand the hate she witnessed. Of course I went and brought her back home, so very proud of her values.

Growing up I took a lot for granted. You see I grew up in a 'Black ghetto" and was the 2 per cent white in my school. All my friends were Black and all came from hard working GREAT families. When I became aware enough to witness the Civil Right Movement I was in shock when I learned Black people in the south couldn't vote. So was my family.

My mom was a dark skinned Puerto Rican so I experienced the murmurings and finger pointing as well but, it was nothing compared to what was the real reality in this grand US of A.

Bensonhurst has since become a wonderfully heterogenous community with people of all races and national origin. But there are some people in this country that choose to believe inequality is a myth and for whatever the reason refuse to WAKE UP!

So no. Unless you walk in a Black person's shoes you DO NOT KNOW what it's like!

No comments:

Post a Comment